We have ten years...

Earth's climate is in crisis. There is no debate; no doubt. The actions that we take today and for the coming decade will determine the fate of our planet. The links between the ocean and climate change can be read here. There is no longer time to discuss impacts. We need to focus on actions and solutions, and we all have the ability to do this. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change will be issuing their first report since 2001 this week. Read what thousands of the world's leading climate change scientists say when it comes out. The United States, Canada and Australia are dragging their feet. The UK is emerging as a leader. Read this to learn about the things our governments and business need and are talking about doing. But we all need to step up independently as well. I pledge, from this day forward, to minimize my impact in every decision and action that I take. I've cancelled a flight to San Fransicso. I was supposed to attend a conference there in April, but I will propose a teleconference instead. I will not be idle and wait for the outcomes, only to know that when my children are grown they will ask the question: "what were you doing about this, mom?"

What are you doing?

0 Responses to “We have ten years...”

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Blog was initiated as part of the inaugural "Sustainability Across the Curriculum" workshop, held at SMU on May 12, 2010. This is part of the Teacher Scholar programme for 2010-2011. If you have any posts, curriculum, ideas or inspired content that you would like to include, please send it to Dr. Cathy Conrad, the 2010-2011 Teaching Scholar, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography. I look forward to moderating this site and linking useful and relevant information. I hope you find it useful!



© 2007 The Oceans: A Physical Geography | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.